The following free tree schemes are offered to landowners and communities within Devon.
These are limited offers – there are only a certain number of trees to give a way at the moment, so please hurry while stocks last!
We are calling on people to plant trees as soon as possible- the tree planting season for this year is upon us and ends in April. This will help to replace the huge number of ash trees that are now dying through ash dieback.
Free tree packs for landowners
Do you have an area where you’d like to establish a small copse, linear woodland or extend an existing woodland?
Devon County Council, in association with the Woodland Trust, have a limited number of packs of 45 sapling trees to give away. The packs contain cell-grown native oak, rowan and birch- 15 of each. Spiral guards and canes are also provided to protect against rabbit damage. Instructions on preparing the ground, planting the trees and maintenance needs are included with each pack. See also online advice by Woodland Trust.
The following conditions apply:
- The trees must be planted in Devon
- The tree planting location (or locations) must be suitable in terms of size and location in the landscape. To give trees enough space to develop a good crown and grow to maturity, we advise planting at 3m random spacings, which requires an area of approximately 400m sq. (e.g. 20m x 20m).
- The planting must be carried out by Easter 2020.
- A person (landowner or their appointee) must be named as responsible for planting and maintaining the trees according to the instructions, so that after 5 years the trees are well established and growing healthily.
- We require a photograph of the planted trees as evidence of completion. If not provided to us by the end of May 2020, we may wish to access planting site on an accompanied visit to check and record (through a photograph) that the planting has been carried out. Arrangements for such a visit will be in agreement with the landowner.
To apply, please complete our online form here by Monday 6th January 2020. You will be notified if you have been successful before the end of January 2020 and your tree pack will be dispatched to you on a date confirmed by the Woodland Trust.
GDPR Statement: Please read our GDPR Privacy Notice. By applying for a free tree pack, you will be indicating your consent for Devon County Council to hold your data and share it with the Woodland Trust and its tree suppliers for the purpose of arranging delivery of trees.
Free landmark trees for parish and town councils
Is there a prominent and publicly accessible place in your parish or neighbourhood where your community could plant a landmark tree?
As a limited offer, Devon County Council, in association with Perrie Hale Nursery near Honiton, can provide free landmark trees to parish and town councils in Devon. A maximum of two trees per parish or town council is being offered. We encourage you to promote this as a commemorative planting ceremony to recognise the loss of ash trees through ash dieback and do something positive in response for our environment.
You can register your interest by emailing email@example.com stating your name, parish/town council, contact details and- if you already know– a description of where you’d like to plant the tree. This could be a street name, marked map or grid reference. Please state Landmark Tree – Register of Interest plus the name of the parish or town council in the subject line of the email.
GDPR Statement: Please read our GDPR Privacy Notice. By registering your interest for a landmark tree, you will be indicating your consent for Devon County Council to hold your data and share it with our tree suppliers.